Defensive Handgun 1
Course Length: 6-8 hours
Skill Level: Intermediate
Maximum Class Size: 6
Facility Use: Range
Course Description: The Defensive Handgun 1 course is an intermediate pistol shooting course that builds on the introduction to defensive pistol course. Students will learn defensive shooting techniques that will likely be required in an actual self-defense situation. While maintaining controlled shooting fundamentals, students will be challenged with several shooting drills, injected malfunctions, and movement techniques.
Students will not only learn the ‘how’ of defensive shooting, but the theory and the ‘why’ behind the skill.
This is an intermediate level course, beginning students should attend our Intro to Defensive Shooting course.
Students will receive:
- Firearm Safety Rules review
- Safe Handling of Firearms review
- Proper presentation from holster / concealment
- Defensive shooting vs Target shooting
- Shooting Fundamentals review
- Sighted and Unsighted shooting techniques
- Stoppage Drills
- Reloading Drills
- Speed vs Accuracy drills
- Controlling rate of fire under stress
- Multiple target and threat identification
- Movement techniques
- Alternate positions – Kneeling
- Shooting from barricade / cover
Other Information / Course Requirements:
- Students MUST supply their own firearm due to the nature of the course as well as hearing and eye protection.
- Students should bring at least 300 rounds of ammunition.
- Students should bring at least 2, preferably 3 or more magazines.
- Students should bring at least 5 ‘snap caps’ in the caliber of their firearm.
- We are here to help! Students can purchase items for class use depending upon availability in the RMGC Pro-Shop.
- Due to current ammunition availability challenges instructors will keep live fire to the minimum necessary to complete the course.
- Proper attire is required: No open toed shoes, no low or open collars, etc.
Cost: $150.00 ($250.00 if taking both Defensive Handgun 1 & 2, discount only applies if signed up for both classes)